Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Ashen Archfiend (a work in progress)

Roughly two years ago I was involved in a conversation with two friends who were discussing their cigarette habit. They spoke about how all smokers, because they are cast outside by non-smokers (and the law) in social settings, form a bond and share an understanding of the dependency. They mentioned how having a pack in their pocket was like taking your best friend everywhere with you and as long as you knew it was there, everything would be okay. They spoke of withdrawal symptoms, the effect on their physical and mental state and how quitting was the hardest thing they’d ever attempted, without success.

I listened intently and started to realize I too was possessed by a stimulant. Due to the hold this beast had on me, I’d become blind to it. When I mentioned to my friends I felt maybe I had an addiction to sugar – they laughed at me and said it wasn’t possible to be addicted to sugar. They told me I had no idea of the darkness of addiction. Needless to say I felt a little embarrassed and a little irritated.

Not being one to let anyone get the best of me, I began researching sugar. Aside from the fact sugar rots your teeth, stomach lining and weakens your vital organs – the most interesting piece of information I came across was the fact sugar attacks the same pleasure centre in brain as heroin. Heroin: the granddaddy of all drugs. Apparently the withdrawal symptoms of sugar and heroin are often similar: headaches, body aches, fevers, depression and restlessness just to name a few. Not only does sugar contain a psychological addiction, but it also has elements of physical dependency. I know my body would turn against me when I wasn’t giving it enough sugar. Add to that the mind games my brain would play with my heart… and I was a prisoner to something much stronger than a mild sweet-tooth. I’d become an accomplice to my own death.

My friends spoke of carrying their pack in their pocket and feeling secure… well maybe I didn’t keep a chocolate bar with me at all times, but in the back of my mind I knew there were at least four or five of them waiting for me at home.

Now, I realize tobacco addiction and withdrawals is severe - but think about this: processed white sugar is in a LARGE number of the foods, drinks and condiments we consume, whereas tobacco is not. Withdrawal from sugar, just like tobacco, is a lifestyle change.