Monday, May 05, 2008

You're Never Too Old to Swing Baby.

My parents still live in the same house where I grew up. This house is a two minute jaunt from my old elementary school and the other day I took their dog for a walk there. Their dog is a spirited soul whose only concern is that you throw the tennis ball… constantly… and forever. She is a working breed crossed with a demon breed and her relentless demanding behavior, while sometimes cute, can be draining. In between rounds of firing off her tennis ball, I took a seat on the playground swing set… and would you believe it, I started to swing.
I pumped my short stumpy legs and before I knew it, I was flying without a care. Even though the crisp sound of cutting through the air tickled my ears, I was filled with silence. At that moment I was free of obligations and stress, free of opinions and labels and free of everything that makes me… not me. If it hadn’t been for the sassy yelps of my parent’s dog, reminding me that my life isn’t ever truly my own, I’d probably still be swinging.