Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Forest Through The Trees

People are always talking about their artistic influences or their favorite artists:
“Oh that Matisse fellow, he really floats my boat.”
“Why I just can’t say enough about Jackson Pollock. The man was genius!”
“Van Gogh is the shit.”

I’ve never felt I had an artistic influence. I’ve never felt I needed one, but now I realize I’ve always had one but was just too blind to see it.
My artistic influence is Ansel Adams. His photographs, in one word, are EPIC. To try and describe them any further would be a disservice. I’ve always been drawn to the black and white and the story within a landscape. I’ve always had a secret obsession (bordering on compulsion) with shapes and forms and texture. Landscape photographs speak to me. I’ve never known the importance of identifying with a true artist till now. Finally I understand why people wish to covet pieces of artwork. It connects you to the feeling you get every time you see it.












http://www.anseladams.com/