Thursday, January 17, 2008

Why I am Going Deaf

When I was younger I use to take apart my walkie-talkies and pocket radios so I could see what their insides looked like. I’d experiment, taking parts from the radio and replacing them with the guts of a walkie-talkie to see if I could create a plastic, electronic Frankenstein of my own. I managed to invent a few interesting pieces, but nothing worth marketing to Radio Shack. I guess I was a little nerdy, but what else is a shy young girl to do when her breasts develop at ten.

It was around this time I made a conscious decision to explore music and cultivate a passion for it. This is one of those clear memories I have from my childhood – sitting on the floor of my bedroom listening to the distorted noises coming from my mutilated pocket radio and saying to myself, “Music is going to be our thing. It will be there when no one else can be.”
The one constant in my life has been the love of music. My tastes have grown, matured and I keep finding new sounds I can groove to and new lyrics I can relate to.

Music is my heroin.